Thursday, September 24, 2009
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Trams are one of so many old friends of Kolkata. In 1873 (24th Feb 1873)Kolkata got her first horse drown tram.
After lots of modification in 1902, (27th March1902), the first electric tramcar ran from Esplanade to Kidderpore.
Since then Tram has become a part of daily life of kolkata wallas'.
Behala Tram depot is operating since 1986. Tram used to be very popular mode of tranport for commuting to and from several parts of Behala , but recently the trend has seen a reversal. The only tram service in Behala now connects Behala to Thakurpukur and Joka.
[Interior of a typical old second class coach]
- Kolata Tram is the oldest oprating electric driven tarm in ASIA!
- On 22nd December, 1880, The Calcutta Tramway Co. Ltd was formed and registered in London!
- In 1908 Behala got connected in Tram network!
- In 1951, The Government of West Bengal signed an agreement with the Calcutta Tramways Company and the Calcutta Tramways Act, 1951 was enacted. The Govt. took control over all rights with regard to Tramways and reserved the right to purchase the system on 1st Jan, 1972 or any time thereafter giving two years notice.
- In 1986 Behala got her own tram depot!